Migration of OHSAS 18001:2007 to ISO 45001:2018.
Migration Implementation Plan OHSAS 18001:2007 to ISO 45001:2018.
ISO 45001:2018, the replacement of OHSAS 18001:2007 & the world’s first occupational health & safety standard was published on 12th March 2018.
What is ISO 45001?
As ISO 45001 adopts the Annex SL structure, it makes integration with other management systems you may be operating simpler than ever before and it will now align directly with ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015.
Migration to ISO 45001
- If you currently have certification to OHSAS 18001:2007, you will need to make appropriate arrangements to migrate to ISO 45001. As with 9001 and 14001, there has been a three-year migration period agreed running from 12th March 2018 to 11th March 2021. Due to Covid-19 this deadline has been extended to 11th September 2021.
- OHSAS 18001 Certification will still be recognised until the end of the migration period, however, OHSAS 18001 certificates will not be issued by us (Approachable Certification Limited) with a validity past 11th September 2021.
- It is expected that in line with IAF (International Accreditation Forum) guidelines IAF MD 21, additional audit time will be required to assess compliance with ISO 45001.
- You may migrate at any stage during your certification cycle, either as a re-assessment, surveillance or special visit.
- We have developed a comprehensive ISO 45001:2018 Gap Analysis document which you will need to complete, followed by an assessment from one of our trained Lead Auditors.
- We have UKAS accreditation for some codes for ISO 45001 and are currently in the process of applying to UKAS to receive more codes which we can audit. We will keep you up to date on our progress.
- We are able to issue accredited ISO 45001 certificates for the codes which we have UKAS. However, for other industry sectors we are unable to issue accredited certificates. We are able to carry out unaccredited certification. Once UKAS accreditation has been granted you will be issued with an accredited certificate.
- We will continue to provide unaccredited 18001 certification for the foreseeable future, including new applications, however, please note that these certificates will only be valid until 11th September 2021.
Preparing for the Future
If you are currently applying for OHSAS 18001, many of the clause requirements are the same or similar to those of ISO 45001. However, they may be presented in a different sequence and may use different terminology.
Advice to existing users:
- Obtain a copy of the ISO 45001 standard.
- Examine the changes.
- Complete our ISO 45001 Gap Analysis against your current OHSAS 18001 system.
- Implement actions to address any gaps in your OH&SMS (Occupational Health and Safety Management System)
Prior to your migration audit, we require you to complete and send back the ISO 45001 Gap Analysis to ascertain that you’ve understood the changes and to establish the most appropriate way to audit the changes you’ve made.
Please complete the ISO 45001 Gap Analysis Document and send it back to email@example.com prior to your scheduled migration audit.